Contract Changes for 2013 – 2016
Below are highlights of the language that was Ratified (voted) on October 28, 2013 by our Classified Membership. This language is subject to School Board Approval at the November 4, 2013 meeting. Once approved, we will start the process of reprinting the new contract. You will then be able to obtain a hard copy of your new contract at the Personnel Office or one will be available to download on the district’s website. This contract covers all part and full time classified employees at PYLUSD.
Please remember that as a member you have the opportunity to express your input and desired changes/enhancements to YOUR employment contract. The bargaining team is made of 5 individuals who represent 1200 employees across 112 classifications. Next time you receive a survey from us, PLEASE let us know your thoughts regarding any articles in your contract you would like to see changed.
Make sure you’re signed up on our Classified Employee website www.pylcsea.com. This website is maintained by your chapter members and is just for PYLUSD classified employees. By signing up you can receive news and information regarding Chapter meetings, negotiations updates, special events, and much more.
We meet once a month at the ESC building from 5:15pm to 6:30pm. You can come participate in chapter business, ask questions, and give us your input. The next meeting is Nov. 12 at 5:15pm.
Chris Lawyer, 2nd VP Chapter 293
- All members will have an individual mailbox at their work site on or before Jan. 1, 2014.
- All members will be provided a District email address.
- Your employee monthly category will now be identified with your total number of “paid work days” per year. This change of title does not result in any changes to classified employees pay check. Those employees who start and finish the school year with students are now 9.5 month employees. See the new chart in Section 12.13.3 of the new agreement.
- “Comp time” off can now be requested at least 2 days in advance instead of 5 days.
- Bargaining unit members who are interested in performing short-term and /or substitute hours need to submit the Short-Term and Substitute Hours Form (See Appendix F in new contract). Members who submit the interest form may be offered sub and short-term work but there is no guarantee.
- Interviews for positions that are 4 hours or more will have a Personnel/District Office Manager/ Director serving on the panel as well as a CSEA Representative.
- Initial interviews for all posted vacancies will begin within 21 calendar days after the closing of the posting.
- A “List of Criteria” for each classification will be established by Personnel Office for job application screenings purposes.
- All reference checks will only be conducted by an Administrator, Manager and/or confidential employee of the Personnel Department using the Reference Check Form (Appendix C in the new contract).
- To request a lateral transfer, meaning same job classification with the same number of hours, members will use the new revised Classified Transfer Form. Transfer forms can be found on the www.pylusd.org Personnel page, see your CSEA site rep, and a copy will be printed in the new contract as Appendix D.
- Applicants considered for the transfer to a vacancy may be interviewed and if they are a CSEA panel member will be present.
- If a unit member is denied a specific transfer request, they may request a meeting with a manager of the Personnel Department to discuss their request.
Layoff and Re-Employment
- If a member goes out on a medical leave of absence and can’t return to work after using all of their paid and/or unpaid leaves of absence, then they will placed on a 39 month reemployment list as a medical layoff.
- Members who are on medical leave will be notified by the District at least 30 days prior to using up all of their leave.
- In case of any future layoffs, members on the reemployment list shall be provided an interest form (Appendix E) for substitute and/or short term work with their layoff notice.The Board of Education will not authorize any layoffs of classified employees for the 2013-14 fiscal year. The Board of Education will also not authorize any layoffs for the 2014-15 fiscal year unless due to an actual reduction in Federal funding that would impact classified positions.
- Members who submit the interest form will be offered substitute and/or short term work in their own classification prior to that work being offered to other unit members and/or non-bargaining unit members.
- For work in a different classification than their own, members must meet the qualifications of the job description and hiring criteria prior to being offered such work.
Additional Assignment (Summer School and/or Summer Work)
- When the determination is made by the district that worker will be needed beyond the regular school year (except in Transportation department) such opportunities shall be posted prior to May 30th.
- An Interest Form for additional assignment in the areas of Special Ed, Childcare, Campus Supervisors and Food Services shall be provided for unit members working in the applicable classifications first. If additional assignments are available after being offered to members in the applicable classification, then such opportunities shall be posted at each work site and emailed to all members. Available opportunities in all other department and classification will be available at each work site and emailed.
- The assignment of additional work in the Maintenance and Facilities Department shall be made among unit members submitting interest forms utilizing the following factors in the following order: availability, seniority, and any documented attendance abuse.
Furlough Days Based on Calendar of Employees
|9.5 and 9.75 Month (0-215 Paid Days)||
|November 25, 26, and 27, 2013|
|10, 10.5, and 10.75 Month (216-237 Paid Days)||
|November 25, 26, and 27, 2013|
|11 and 11.5 Month_(238-259 Paid Days)||
|November 25, 26, and 27, 2013|
|12 Month (260-261 Paid Days)||
|November 25, 26, and 27, 2013. The remaining 0.5 day shall be considered a floating furlough day.|
- ½ day floater for 12 month employees needs to be taken before 6/30/13. The employee can choose to use a vacation day in lieu of the ½ day furlough day. A Special form will be coming for you to choose which date will be either your .5 furlough or .5 vacation.
- All furlough day deduction from employee’s paycheck shall be equal increments over a 8 month period starting with the 12/10/13 paycheck. (Dec. 2013 – July 2014).
- 9.5 and 9.75 month employees were added to the vacation chart found in article 21.1.1 in the same column as 10.0 month employees.
- Members will receive a statement of accrued and used vacation hours twice a year. One prior to October 30th and the second between April 15 and May 1 of each year.
- Scheduled Holidays were determined for 2013/14 and 2014/15 and 2015/16, except for Spring Recess is TBA for 2014/15 and 2015/16.